Table of Contents
- 1 The Coastal Living
- 2 Caleb Zipperer Tretto faux rattan dining table
- 3 Serena & Lily Blithedale dining table
- 4 Serena & Lily Director’s chair
- 5 Jannis Ellenberger Navene blue dining chair
- 6 The City Sanctuary
- 7 Alpine 3-piece outdoor feather metal bistro set
- 8 Fleur De Lis Living round 2-person bistro set
- 9 Breakwater Bay Teak Bartron Square 2-person bistro set
- 10 OC Orange-Casual 3-piece outdoor furniture set
- 11 The Minimalist Desert Dining
- 12 Norm Architects Finn dining chair
- 13 Crate & Barrel Kinney teak outdoor dining table
- 14 Crate & Barrel Kinney teak outdoor dining bench with cushion
- 15 Børge Mogensen for Carl Hansen & Sønn deck folding table
- 16 The Tropical Vibes
- 17 1960s vintage garden set
- 18 One Kings Lane square 3-piece dining set
- 19 One Kings Lane Director’s 3-piece round dining set
- 20 Chairish vintage rattan jute rope-wrapped 7-piece dining set
- 21 The French Riviera Glamour
- 22 Serena & Lily Outdoor Riviera dining chair
- 23 8thInteriors Nia classic French 2-piece bistro dining chairs
- 24 Serena & Lily terrace dining table
- 25 Serena & Lily Bamileke round dining table
- 26 The Modern Whimsy
- 27 Gloster Kayu teak dining table
- 28 Ettore Sottsass Kartell Colonna stool
- 29 Mermelada Estudio Matias cast aluminum dining table
- 30 Philippe Starck for Emeco Broom chair
- 31 The Vintage Slim Aarons
- 32 1960s mid-century brown Jordan yellow chair and table set with umbrella
- 33 Vintage round wicker and rattan-woven outdoor patio dining set with glass top
- 34 Emu Kona outdoor dining table
- 35 Vintage mid-century modern wire style chairs
When designing our homes, we tend to focus on the interiors; outdoor spaces—furnished with one of the best patio dining sets, a rug, and maybe some lighting—are often an afterthought. Instead, we fill our Pinterest boards with photos of Mario Bellini’s Camaleonda couch or the latest in mid-century modern decor. Maybe it’s a Wabi-Sabi moment we’re going for; in that case, paper moon lamps and lime wash walls are definitely part of the plan. By selecting the aesthetic of our interiors and the pieces that will come to define our lives, we’re creating more than just a space but a mood. So why stop indoors?
It’ll get dirty, we tell ourselves, so we ultimately end up compromising on a traditional black steel patio set or an all-weather wicker situation that’ll just go with anything. We can’t blame ourselves; the internet seems to confirm these thoughts with one Google search for “outdoor dining furniture,” revealing unoriginal but practical options that leave us entirely uninspired.
Our outdoor spaces can, however, reflect the same sentiment as our indoor ones. If you grew up with a backyard or any form of outdoor space, you understand how evocative these spaces can be. For many, the best memories are made sitting around that patio table during warm weather months, and with so much of our time spent outdoors entertaining family and friends, it’s important to consider your outdoor space as an extension of the happiest part of your home.
Below, we’ve rounded up some of the best outdoor dining and patio dining sets for any mood to get you started.
The Coastal Living
Use rattan instead of wicker to give your outdoor furniture a coastal yet modern feel. If you’re not by the sea, punctuate your rattan glass table with some blue dining chairs as a wistful ode to the Med.
The City Sanctuary
If your outdoor dining space is small (think fire escape or balcony), consider adding a pretty bistro set with mosaic tiles or a pop of color for a touch of warmth. (Pro tip: choose a collapsible option for easy storing during off-seasons.) While it’s still warm, indulge in quiet mornings reading books, sipping OJ, and maybe even inviting your neighbor over for breakfast.
The Minimalist Desert Dining
Opt for a wooden outdoor dining set that features a mix of bench and chairs with removable cushions for a desert-inspired minimalist look. The play on proportions is also a nod to that Wabi-Sabi energy you might be trying to channel.
The Tropical Vibes
Whether it’s the Bahamas, Jamaica, or Barbados, a tropical dining set will put you in a Caribbean state of mind. To achieve this, stay clear of cold materials and limit your furniture to warmer textures, like rattan, bamboo, and wood. Punctuate them with pops of color or print on the cushions or upholstery.
The French Riviera Glamour
Who doesn’t want to capture the spirit of the French Riviera in their own backyard? If you’re looking for a way to elevate your poolside dining experience, pair a set of woven bistro chairs with a stark white table with a dramatic pedestal base for a transportive dose of Saint-Tropez glamour.
The Modern Whimsy
For a touch of modern whimsy, there’s no greater source for inspiration than the late architect and designer Ettore Sottsass. Surprise and delight your guests with some color, featuring the iconic plastic Colonna stools paired with a sleek wood table.
The Vintage Slim Aarons
For that pop of mid-century holiday magic, go bold with a 1960s Brown Jordan vintage set, which comes with the iconic yellow umbrella. Slim Aarons would most definitely approve.